While choosing a mover we must keep the following points in our mind:
1. PRICE. At first you must know “what would be the total cost?”. You must obtain quotes from several movers and packers and have to be ready to provide:
Approximate departure date
Type of items
Type of service desired (e.g., door-to-door transport vs. terminal-to-terminal)
Special transport services (e.g., enclosed transport)
2. PAYMENT METHOD. While some movers may not ask for the payment in advance, others require a deposit (10-25% of the total cost), or full payment in advance. If you have given the deposit then, you have to pay the due amount at the time of delivery – usually with a cashiers check or cash. At times a surcharge of 2-3% is also applicable while using a credit card with Movers.
3. CONTRACT. READ YOUR CONTRACT CAREFULLY!!! IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Do not rely on any unwritten promises from your Movers. After you sign your contract, your movers will ALWAYS refer you to the agreement for any complaints you may have, which may include cost to cancel your shipment. The most important thing to look for is a clause that says there is no guaranteed pickup or delivery date. Although most movers gives the delivery of the shipment within the expected timeframe, most will not guarantee a delivery date.
You must ask for an agreement clause (in writing) that gives up the cancellation fee if the shipment is not picked up by your movers within 3-4 days of the scheduled pickup date. If you cancel within the agreed window, then you are supposed to pay some fee, which may vary from $50 to $250.
4. INSURANCE. Your shipment should be insured against damage and theft by your movers. Try to get a copy of insurance coverage.
5. PICK-UP AND DELIVERY DATES. Ask for expected pick-up and delivery times. You should be able to get a 3-4 days time for pick-up – throughout the busy summer or snow fall the expected time frame may be larger, but the movers may warn you of possible delays ahead of time. Be a little bit unconvinced of exact pick-up and delivery dates promised by movers – if you are assured of exact dates, get it in writing and state the remedy if service is not executed on promised dates ($50 discount, no fee to cancel, etc.). Once pick-up is made, your movers should give you a fairly exact delivery date.
Last Minute Move
When Need Movers immediately use our Last Minute Move Section! Fill out this form to have available moving companies get in touch with you immediately.
During the entire moving process, make sure to keep all documents and information in a safe place and handy. Make sure to get all information your moving company gives you in writing. You don’t want there to be any mix-ups or misunderstandings with your moving company, so getting all information in writing will ensure that the moving process goes more smoothly.